The wood stack is gone. We loaded it into a truck yesterday and took it to the local landfill. My neighbor didn't want to burn it, because it would leave behind screws and other metal things that would damage his tractor tires.
I've started unbolting the floor-pan from the trailer. Besides bolts, it seems there are all kinds of other strange connectors ... ground straps, cable ties, tanks, etc. So I am still working on this. Trying to save the gray-water tank, but get rid of the black-water tank. Gotta peal the vinyl off the OSB to find the bolt heads. Sort of attempting to save the metal pan that the floor is built in. We'll see.
Dec 11, 2010
There it is ... down to the floor ...
and most of the stuff neatly cleaned up.
Divided into sections ... the walls and roof
stacked for the trip to the landfill.
Aluminum siding to be sold at the recycle place.
This is the roof aluminum,
but it has sealant, gummy stuff, and staples in it.
I don't know if the recycle place will take it.
Dec 9, 2010
A couple of the grandsons help me fight our way into the screws so we could remove the metal from the roof. Along each end there is a re-enforcing strip, kind of a shallow "u-channel", with screws spaced every 5 inches. Each screw head had a generous glob of silicone on top of it. Then all of that was well covered with a tar-backed fabric/plastic strip. And I didn't have a blow torch to warm it up and remove it. So, one grandson used a brick hammer to chip away the covering strip and soften up the silicone globs. Then another used a putty knife to pry the silicone away from the screw heads. And I used the thin tip of one of my pocket knife blades to pry the silicone out of the square pocket in the screw heads. Then we could finally remove the screws. We decided not to fight the tape & silicone covering around all the vents ... So, using strokes of my hatchet through the thin aluminum ... I cut around the vents and we pealed the aluminum top off. What you see here is what remained after we bagged the fiberglass insulation.
This is back under the bottom bunk where there is a large amount of damage.
The cinder block is where the door used to be.
The steps were no longer functional because the bolts had pulled down out of the wooden framework. And you can see all the wood rot through the dining and door areas of the floor. The grandsons loved the "destruction" part of deconstruction. :)
Dec 7, 2010
I pushed it off to the downhill side.
This will make it easier to work on stripping the roof section.
This is what it looks like from the bathroom end.
The outside bunkbed wall was rotted out ... flimsy.
Next is working on this ...
Removing the refrigerator vent. The pop-up bubble vents (trash).
And separating the skin from the wood.
All the wood goes into the burn pile, the aluminum to recycle.
Leaving the floor to be removed from the trailer ... in due time.
Dec 6, 2010
I took some screws out of the left side ...
and the front panel just fell out.
Love that wood rot.
You can stand out front and look clear through to the rear.
Kind of empty and spacious.
Both sides have now been stripped.
If you pull on something, the trailer rocks back and forth.
Getting to the point where it is scary to step inside.
Look at all this wood rot.
This is the corner with the bunk beds ...
Where did all that water come from??
Dec 4, 2010
No doors or windows remaining. All Gone.
Still gotta get that awning off of there.
Pulled all the wires off this side and front end.
It looks huge and spacious with everything removed.
Taken through the front window hole looking towards the back.
The bathroom wall on the right is held on by the 50 staples they put down through the ceiling panel. I'll get the left wall loose after I get the siding off and can remove the screws coming into it from the outside.
The wife said, "Forget the fresh water tank ... we aren't doing that. We will be using city or well water pumped in. That old propane heater isn't happening either. I'd rather have a "tiny cod" wood stove. And see if you can squeeze a bathtub in here." Those are my marching orders for the moment. And I need to buy the 4 windows for the dormer area.
Dec 3, 2010
One side is stripped down and the
refrigerator cabinet inside has been removed.
All the corners look like this ...
Look at all that wiring.
The red is 12 volt DC.
The black is 120 volt AC.
The green & white go to the marker & tail lights.